Spring 2018 Lunch-N-Learns
A Lunch-N-Learn is where a presenter presents information about at least one of the eight dimensions of wellness. Faculty and staff may bring a brown bag lunch.
No registration required.
To earn one HealthQuest point for attending a Lunch-N-Learn, sign-in when you arrive and directions to earn a HealthQuest point will be emailed to you.
- Thursday, January 11, 2018 from 12:10-12:50 pm in the English room at the Kansas Union
- This will be an interactive presentation demonstrating exercises to tone and stretch your muscles while at your desk or in your office. Please dress in comfortable, non-restrictive clothing.
- Presented by Miranda Kolenda
- Presentation (PDF). Handout (PDF).
- Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center conference room 202 from 12:10-12:50 pm
- Learn about the benefits of cardiovascular exercise, calculate your target heart rate zone, and get tips about making cardio fun. Then we'll walk around the indoor track at ASRFC or get on some cardio to implement what you learned. Please dress in exercise attire or comfortable clothing. Tennis shoes required.
- This is a Lunch-N-Learn and Walk-N-Learn.
- Membership to Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center is not required to attend.
- Presented by Miranda Kolenda
- Registration required.
- Benefits of Cardio Handout (PDF), Sample Cardio Workouts/RPE Scale (PDF)
- Wednesday, March 14, 2018 from 12:10-12:50 pm at the Kansas Union in the English room
- Jill Elmers will share how her farm, Moon on the Meadow, cultivates and sells local and organic produce to the KU and Lawrence communities. Learn about the updates to this year's CSA and how to get involved!
April - Effects of Good Nutrition on Overall Health and Wellbeing
- Wednesday, April 18, 2018 from 12:10-12:50 pm at the Kansas Union in the English room
- Topics will include: Healthy work snacks and lunches and the audience will have time to get their own questions answered
- Presented by Christine Ebert, R.D.
May - Bring the Bike back into your life: Cycling safety tips and tricks
- Wednesday, May 2, 2018 from 12:10-12:50 pm at the Kansas Union in the English room
- Did you know that cyclists are safer riding on streets than sidewalks? Wendy Shoemaker and Mary Orem will lead a workshop on cycling safety tips and tricks that encourage the new and experienced cyclist to ride with safety in mind. Wendy and Mary both work at KU and are also League Certified Instructors with the League of American Bicyclists. They have been hosting several safety training clinics and rides for cyclists in the Lawrence community since 2015. This will be a fun and engaging workshop that will encourage you to get on your bike and ride!
- Wendy is the Senior Associate Director of the University Career Center and has been at KU since 2003. Mary joined KU in 2018 as a Research Project Coordinator with the Center for Public Partnerships and Research.
Membership to Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center is not required to attend.
Stay current with our upcoming events. Subscribe to our mailing list.
Requirements: Be a current KU faculty and staff member and provide a KU email address.