Baked Chicken with Onions & Leeks
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced and washed leek, white and light green part only
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2-3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed, trimmed (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Toss onions, leek, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, thyme and salt in a large bowl until the vegetables are well coated. Spread the mixture in a nonreactive 9-by-13-inch baking dish (see Tip). Place the chicken pieces on the vegetables. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Whisk mustard, shallot, rosemary, soy sauce and pepper in a small bowl; gradually whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- After 10 minutes, brush the chicken with the mustard glaze. Continue baking until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a leg or breast (without touching bone) registers 165°F, 30 to 45 minutes more. Serve the chicken with the vegetables.
Per serving: 261 calories; 13 g fat ( 3 g sat , 8 g mono ); 78 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber; 324 mg sodium; 335 mg potassium.