November - Self-Care during COVID-19 (PDF)
- Wednesday, November 18, 2020 from 12:00-12:45 pm via Zoom.
- Register is required. Please click here.
- There is no one way to self-care, and there certainly is no one way to self-care during a pandemic! Leadership takes a lot of energy and prioritizing your self-care is so important. Zach will share information about maintaining boundaries, what self-care can be and a few tricks and tips for managing stress!
- Presented by Zach Newby
December - Immune Support 101
- Wednesday, December 9, 2020 from 12:00-12:45 pm via Zoom.
- Registration is required. Please click here.
- Presented by DeAnna Hatch, PhD, Nutrition Health Coach with Natural Grocers
- Most people know vitamin C is important for the immune system, but why? And what about the other vitamins? Just like the rest of our body, the immune system requires optimal nutrition to work at its best. Keeping your immune system fed with the right stuff will ensure that your body is ready to handle whatever comes it's way.
- Wednesday, February 5, 2020 from 12:10-12:50 pm at Stouffer Place Apartments in the community kitchen. Enter Stouffer on the southeast corner of the building facing 19th street.
- Celebrate National Sweet Potato Month with a sweet potato taco cooking demo and sampling! We will also discuss a few tips and tricks on how to make meal prepping easier and a little more enjoyable.
- Led by Jade Gibson, Registered Dietitian for KU Dining
- Wednesday, March 4, 2020 from 12:10-12:50 pm at the Kansas Union in The Jay
- Alexander Technique is an educational method that helps you move in a way that is more coordinated and balanced. We will explore the basic principles of this technique by playing games and looking at our movement habits and patterns. Please bring a yoga mat with you and wear something comfortable to this session.
- Link to flyers
- Led by Karen Benda
- Wednesday, October 2, 2019 from 12:10-12:50 pm at Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center, conference room 202
- Do you sit for longer periods, have tight muscles, or want to learn a warm-up or cool down technique for to supplement your exercise program? In this session we will use tools such as foam rollers and tennis and lacrosse balls to help release tension in the soft tissues of the body through myofascial release. Myofascial Release is a safe and effective hands-on technique that involves applying gentle sustained pressure into the myofascial connective tissue to eliminate pain and restore motion.
- Participants will be able to practice these techniques, so wearing exercise attire is recommended.
- Led by Melinda Ball
- Wednesday, November 6, 2019 from 12:10-12:50 pm at the Kansas Union in the Jayhawk room
- Is everyday a Monday? Have you become critical, irritable, or just don't care at work? You may be feeling the effects of burnout. Learn how to spot, prevent, and overcome workplace stress and how it contributes to burnout. Attendees will complete a survey to understand the type of burnout they may be experiencing. The content can also be applied to other areas in life such as students experiencing academic burnout or kids burning out on sports.
- Presented by Katy Holden, MS
December - Fad Diets
- Wednesday, December 4, 2019 from 12:10-12:50 pm at the Kansas Union in the Kansas room
- Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of diets and “eating rules” out there? In this session we will discuss the history, science, and sustainability of three popular diets, including the ketogenic diet, intermittent fasting, and the Mediterranean diet. We will also discuss what the diet industry is and how it affects our lives
- Presented by Jade Gibson, KU Dining's Registered Dietitian
- Wednesday, September 12 from 12:10-12:50 pm in conference room 202/203 at Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center
- Note: On campus maps, look for the abbreviation SRFC (Student Recreation Fitness Center)
- This will be an interactive presentation demonstrating self-defense techniques followed by a presentation. Please dress in comfortable, non-restrictive clothing.
- Presented by Mr. Mark Taylor from Premier Martial Arts
- Handout (PDF)
- For a more in depth training, Emily Taylor Center for Women and Gender Equity offers a 2-hour self-defense workshop led by Mr. Mark Taylor who led the Lunch-N-Learn training .
- Wednesday, December 5 from 12:10-12:50 pm in conference room 202/203 at Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center
- Note: On campus maps, look for the abbreviation SRFC (Student Recreation Fitness Center)
- This will be an interactive presentation demonstrating how to use foam rollers, lacrosse balls, and other modalities to alleviate muscle tension and trigger points and increase mobility. Please dress in comfortable, non-restrictive clothing.
- Please click on PDF for more information.
January - Desk-ercise (PDF)
September - Bicycle Friendly Driving (PDF)
- September 12, 2017 in the Jay/Spare room (level 1) at the Kansas Union from 12:00-1:00 pm
- This is a interactive class, aimed at educating all drivers on the best and safest ways to share the road with bicyclists. Developed by Fort Collins Bicycle Ambassador Program. Click on the PDF for details.
- Presented by Kirsten Yunuba Stephens
November - Helping Others Quit Tobacco (PDF)
- November 16, 2017 in the Malott room at the Kansas Union from 12:10-12:50 pm
- Learn how you can support someone who's quitting tobacco.
- Presented by Patty Quinlan
February - Gardening (PDF)
- February 1, 2017 in the in the English Room at the Kansas Union from 12:10-12:50 pm
- Sandra Siebert, Master Gardener, will demonstrate how to plant seeds and answer all of your gardening questions!
- Douglas County Master Gardener horticulture hotline and contact information (JPEG) (website, email, phone number)
- Vegetable Garden Planning Guide (PDF)
March - Benefits of Massage (PDF)
- March 1, 2017 in the 1st floor conference room at Watkins Health Center
- Enter into a random drawing to win a free 30-minute massage! Three winners will be drawn!
- Presenters: Jennifer Hibbard and Kayla Short
- April 12, 2017 in the in the English Room at the Kansas Union from 12:10-12:50 pm
- Presenter: Leticia Gradington
- Do you ever wish you knew more about personal finance? No matter where you are in your financial journey, there always is more to learn. In attending this event our goal is to raise awareness, to increase skills and knowledge related to personal finance, and to guide you to helpful resources. Research shows that financial education is most effective when it is relevant to a decision you are faced with right now. Your spending, Your savings, Your future.
December - Mindful Meditation (PDF)
- December 7, 2016 in the Malott Room at the Kansas Union from 12:10-12:50 pm
- Nomi Redding will present on mindful mediation and will walk the group through a 5-minute meditation
- Reduce stress, depression, and anxiety in just 5 minutes!
- Benefits of Meditation (PDF)
- Excerpt from Applied Attention by Dave Mochel (PDF)
- Mindfulness resources - books, websites, magazine, technology (PDF)
November - Acupuncture (PDF)
- November 2, 2016 in the English Room at the Kansas Union from 12:10-12:50 pm
- Learn how 5 needle point acupuncture reduces stress and addiction to tobacco, alcohol, sugar, caffeine, drugs, and more. Within 5 minutes, this technique helps with coping.
- Attendees will get to try the technique.
- Presented by Rachel DaPron, and Acupuncturist from from Bodhi Tree Holistic Healing
October - Hunger Awareness + Cooking Demo (PDF)
- October 5, 2016 at Watkins Heath Center in the Crimson and Blue room from 12:10-12:50 pm
- October is Hunger Awareness Month at KU
- Elizabeth Keever, Executive Director of Just Food, will raise awareness about how the community can help reduce hunger in Douglas County
- Kelsey Fortin will provide updates on KU’s initiative – KU Fights Hunger and will give a cooking demonstration about eating healthy on a budget (Recipe - PDF)
September - Ergonomics in the Workplace (PDF)
- September 7, 2016 in the English Room at the Kansas Union from 12:10-12:50 pm
- TherapyWorks’ shares how to make your work environment ergonomically efficient! (PDF of PowerPoint presentation)
- Wednesday, May 4, 2016 from 12:10-1:10 pm at the Kansas Union, Big 12
- Coach Andrea Hudy, nationally acclaimed Sports Performance Coach for the NCAA Men's KU basketball championship team and author of Power Positions
- Coach Hudy’s 3 tips will build the best you!
- Learn how health, vitality, strength and mobility influence movement, the basis of life.
- Understand how nutrition and sleep aid in recovery.
- Be a leader and someone you love.
April - Walk Kansas (PDF)
- Wednesday, April 6, 2016 from 12:10-1:10 pm at the Kansas Union, Pine Room
- Susan Johnson from Walk Kansas will review the challenge objectives and how to register.
- Your team can walk across Kansas, around Kansas, or diagonally across the state.
- Please note, your team can register after the deadline, and t-shirts will be available for purchase after the deadline.
March - Building a Healthy Meal (PDF)
- Wednesday, March 2, 2016 from 12:10-1:10 pm at the Kansas Union, Pine Room
- Join Kelsey Fortin, Health Educator with Watkins Health Center, and Christine Ebert, Registered Dietitian with KU Dining Services, as they give a nutrition lesson and prepare a healthy lunch option!
- Handout (PDF)
- Recipe (PDF)
- Wednesday, February 3, 2016 from 12:10-1:10 pm at the Kansas Union, Pine Room
- Presenter: Grant Catloth, Co-Owner of Ad Astra Running
- Learning Objectives: Understand the importance of proper fitting shoes and learn what shoe is best for your feet
- Question and answer session
- Runners and walkers are welcome!
- Attendees will receive a '$15 off shoes' coupon
December - Managing Holiday Stress (PDF)
- Wednesday, December 2, 2015 from 12:10-1:10 pm at Kansas Union, English Room
November - Sleep Number (PDF)
- Wednesday, November 4, 2015 from 12:10-1:10 pm at Kansas Union, English Room
October - The Art of Patience (PDF)
- Wednesday, October 7, 2015 from 12:10-1:10 pm at Kansas Union, English Room
- Topic- Employee Assistance Program
- Presenter- Alec Hawley
- Youtube Video Part 1
- Youtube Video Part 2
- Topic- Health Benefits of Chinese Medicine
- Presenter- Supriya Desai
- Youtube Video of Presentation Part 1
- Youtube Video of Presentation Part 2
- Power Point Presenation (pdf)
- Topic- Living Sustainably
- Presenter- Jeffrey R. Severin
- Youtube Video of Presentation
- Topic- Chiropractic Experience Wellness Center
- Presenter- Dr. Mark Howarter
- Youtube Video of Presentation. Part 1 and Part 2
- Topic- Staff and Faculty Exercise Program(pdf)
- Presenter- Dr. Mary Fry
- Topic- Selecting the Correct Shoes for You
- Presenter- Grant Catloth from Garry Gribbles Running Sports
- Topic- KU Dining Services(pdf)
- Presenter- Mary Rondon, MS, RD, LD